Must Read- April 22, 2013: Preschool Tax, Missouri Welfare Investigation, Alcohol Distributors
Senator Bob Dixon is proposing for Greene County that would impose a tax that would fund preschool.
- Missouri lawmaker proposes first-ever tax to fund preschool. (KSPR)
- Proposed bill would support pre-k education in Greene County. (Ozarks First)
- Senate Bill 415
The local media in Springfield (KY3 & the News-Leader) is doing a series on why preschool is important and to usher in this new tax.
- Read and watch- Read to Learn. (News-Leader)
- Part 1: Resources are thin as need continues to grow for early childhood education. (KY3)
- Is your child ready to learn? (News-Leader)
- Free screening tells parents whether kids are on track. (News-Leader)
- Universal preschool will work, so let's get on with it. (Arizona Daily Star)
Smart Phone Insurance:
There is legislation in Missouri that would allow drivers to use smart phones for proof of insurance. The legislation would also not hold law enforcement responsible if they cause damage to your phone.
A Red Sox player drops an f-bomb on live television when talking about the Boston Bombing and the FCC gives him a free ride on decency rules and fines.
- "This is our f***ing city!" Red Sox hitter gives powerful tribute to Boston. (NY Daily News)
- FCC blesses Red Sox players f-bomb. (The Hollywood Reporter)
President Obama called for flags across America to be flown at half-staff in honor of the Boston Bombing victims.
- Obama marathon bombing proclamation: Flags to be flown at half-staff after Boston attack. (Huffington Post)
- Procedures for flying the flag at half-staff. (Dept. of Veterans Affairs)
Missouri has hired Consulting Group of Boston to move families from the state's based welfare program to the federal disability program. The firm receives $2,300 for each family moved. There will be an investigation into this program this week.
- Group helps Missouri move welfare recipients to disability. (Columbia Daily Tribune)
- MO house panel set to investigate contract aimed at moving people from welfare to disability. (KY3)
Alcohol Suppliers & Distributors:
There is a battle in Missouri when it comes to alcohol suppliers and local distributors.
- Major alcohol suppliers, local distributors face off. (St. Louis Post- Dispatch)
- House Bill 759
- Senate Bill 365
The Urban District Alliance isn't a fan of nonprofit organization welcoming in homeless and believes they aren't following zoning rules of the downtown.
- The gathering tree runs into opposition downtown. (News-Leader)
Marco Rubio is using the Boston Bombing to help justify his immigration reform.
- Secret emails: Cato, Norquist, Rubio use Boston terror attack to push immigration reform. (Breitbart)
- Marco Rubio's Immigration Reform Facts
President Bush believes his brother has a proven track record and is the best fit for the White House in 2016.
Things we didn't get to this morning:
Missouri Representative Kathie Conway wants cities to have to give up tax money if they enact smoking bans.
- Smoking-ban cities would face tax penalty under house bill. (St. Louis Post- Dispatch)
Medicaid transformation may not happen in Missouri in 2013.
- Analysis: MO Medicaid expansion unlikely in 2013. (Southeast Missourian)
- Fallout for states rejecting Medicaid expansion. (Kansas City Star)