Must Read- July 9, 2013: Missouri Welfare, Cardinals Pitchers Mound, Sexual Orientation
Gay Pride Flag Image by iStock Photos
Governor Nixon signed SB251 to keep people on government assistance from using their welfare cards for things like liquor, casinos, and strip-clubs.
- Welfare loophole allows some to use public assistance at strip clubs, liquor stores, and casinos. (KSPR)
- Nixon signs bill blocking welfare use at casinos, liquor stores. (St. Louis Post- Dispatch)
- Missouri Senate Bill 251
After an investigation last year, it was found that Missouri money was being used in the Virgin Islands casinos, Las Vegas strip clubs, and other places.
- Missouri welfare dollars withdrawn from casino and strip clubs, from Las Vegas to Virgin Islands. (KMOV)
A North Carolina woman is pointing out the problems with the food stamp program. She got on the program when she was unemployed. Now that she does not qualify she is still allowed to be on the program.
101 Million people are receiving food assistance from the American government. This is about 1/3 of the population.
- 101M get food aid from Federal Government; Outnumber full-time private sector workers. (CNS News)
- USDA Audit Report June 2013 page 4
Twinkies will now have a shelf life of 45 days when they hit shelves again. This is 19 days longer than the previous version of Twinkie. Also, some stores will receive their Twinkies frozen so they will stay fresh longer.
- In the future, Your Twinkies may be frozen. (Time Magazine)
Gay Rights activists are boycotting the film "Ender's Game" due to the author's (Orson Scott Card) view on gay marriage.
- Who's gearing up to boycott Harrison Ford's "Ender's Game" film? (Yahoo News)
- "Ender's Game" boycott planned over Orson Scott Card's anti-gay views. (The Hollywood Reporter)
St. Louis Cardinals:
St. Louis Cardinals General Manager, John Mozeliak, has asked symbols from the pitchers mound be removed after he received a compliant from Michael Vines who was watching the game on television.
- "Cross" removed from Busch Stadium mound. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- Cardinals GM orders cross honoring Musual to be removed from mound. (CBS St. Louis)
- Letter from Michael Vines to St. Louis Cardinals. (The Global Dispatch)
Some people are concerned after the General Manager's decision regarding the tribute to Stan Musual, that Christian Family Day may be next.
- Cardinals announce details for 2013 Christian Day at the ballpark. (St. Louis Cardinals)
The Springfield task force is fearful of the sexual orientation issue to go to the ballot.
- Task force seeks to avoid divisive vote on protections for sexual orientation. (News-Leader)
- Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Task Force
Republicans pointed out Hillary has been in politics since the 70's to show she is a DC insider. Democrats are turning the GOP's comments to say that they are picking on her age.
- Republican heavy hitters say Hillary Clinton is too old to be President. (Dame Magazine)
- GOP attacks Hillary Clinton for her... age? (MSNBC)
The cost of Americans seeking aid for Obamacare has drastically increased.
Musician Marty Hahne has been told by the Feds that he must make an emergency plan for his pet rabbit he uses for magic tricks.