Must Read- August 22, 2013: NY Mayor Race, Unemployment, Beck Rally
Jobs in America Image by MGN Online
The number of unemployed and underemployed Americans has jumped significantly in the past 30 days.
A crowd of 500 met in Tampa for a Town Hall meeting regarding defunding Obamacare.
- Town Hall meeting to defund Obamacare draws large crowd in Tampa. (Miami Herald)
With the implementation of Obamacare coming soon, several employers are changing the way they employ workers. Now added to this list, Forever 21.
- Did Forever 21 cut worker hours to save on health care? (LA Observed)
- Forever 21 to cut full-time positions for non-managers. (CBS5AZ)
The University of Virginia has announced they will no longer be covering spouses of employees if they are eligible for health care by their own employer.
- The University of Virginia cuts some health benefits, citing Obamacare cost. (The Hill)
- UVa employees to see significant changes to health plan. (Newsplex)
Covenant America, the group that was bringing Glenn Beck to the Ozarks, has announced they are moving their event to Kansas City and will not be refunding ticket holders.
Justin Timberlake will possibly be reuniting with ‘NSync at the MTV Video Music Awards.
- Report: Justin Timberlake, ‘NSync to reunite at VMA’s. (Rolling Stone)
It is being rumored that Syria is using more chemical weapons on its citizens.
New York Mayor Race:
Maureen Dowd’s article in the New York Times quoted Bill De Blasio’s wife in saying that candidate Quinn was not the type of person to talk to on children issues because she is a childless lesbian.
- Bill’s turn at bat. (New York Times)
- De Blasio’s wife questions how childless Quinn can relate to child-care issues. (NY Post)
Dowd has admitted she made a mistake in misquoting De Blasio’s wife in her column. She said she couldn’t hear what was said because the coffee shop was noisy.
- Maureen Dowd apologizes for misquoting Bill De Blasio’s wife. (Huffington Post)
- Maureen Down on misquote: The coffee shop was noisy. (The Inquisitr)
Author of the week:
This week's author is Larry Wood.
Col. Lee Ellis:
Lee Ellis is a leadership coach, author, and speaker. He began his career with the Air Force in 1965 and he was held as a POW in Vietnam for five years.
A White House staff member says, Obama "has a bias in favor of historically black colleges and universities."