Must Read- August 23, 2013: Welfare Benefits, Bitcoin, Household Income drop
Family icon, USA Map with dollar bill background Image by MGN Online
Two black youth beat a WWII veteran to death outside of an Eagles Lodge in Washington. He was left to die.
- WWII vet Delbert Belton, 88, beaten to death by teens in Spokane, Washington. (CNN)
- WWII vet, beaten by teens outside Eagles Lodge, dies. (KXLY)
Ben Affleck will be the next Batman in the 2015 Batman-Superman movie.
- Ben Affleck is the new Batman. (Variety)
A CATO Institute study shows that 35 states in America pay more in Welfare than minimum wage. MO minimum wage is $7.53/hour and Welfare pays $10.96/hour.
- Study: Welfare pays more than minimum wage in most states. (Fox News)
- Welfare benefits exceed minimum wage in Missouri, study says. (KMOV)
- The work versus Welfare trade-off: 2013 (CATO Institute)
The Locke & Smith Foundation looks over the constitutionality of legislation in Missouri.
- The Locke & Smith Foundation
- The Locke & Smith Foundation on Facebook
SB28- Redefines "misconduct" and "good cause" for the purposes of disqualification from unemployment benefits
HB611- Changes the laws regarding employment
HB329- Changes the laws regarding financial institutions
SB170- Allows members of public governmental bodies to cast roll call votes in a meeting if the member is participating via videoconferencing
SB224- Increases the salaries that may be paid to the Kansas City Police Department and repeals a provision that actions taken against the police chief are not subject to review
SB265- Prohibits the state and political subdivisions from implementing policies affecting property rights and from entering into certain relationships with organizations
HB278- Prohibits any state or local governmental entity; public building, park, or school; or public setting or place from banning or restricting the practice, mention, celebration, or discussion of any federal holiday
SB51- Modifies provisions of law relating to the regulation of motor vehicles
SB29- Requires authorization for certain labor unions to use dues and fees to make political contributions and requires consent for withholding earnings from paychecks
Body Piercing/ Tattoos:
The Arkansas Senate passed SB387 in a vote of 26-4 which restricts tattoos and body modification.
- Senate passes bill to ban certain tattoos, body piercings. (Fox 16)
- Senate Bill 387
- Senator Missy Irvin (R)
Bitcoin is a form of currency that is used with peer-to-peer technology with no banks.
- Bitcoin's Washington problem. (Politico)
- Bitcon recognized by Germany as "private money." (CNBC)
The average household income dropped 1.8% during the recession. Now that the government has declared we are in a recession recovery, household incomes have dropped 4.4%.
- Household income has dropped 4.4% since recession ended. (LA Times)
- Median income rises, but is still 6% below level at start of recession in 2007. (New York Times)
- Obama's economy- we've fallen and can't get up. (Investors)
Obama promised when Obamacare was passed that your health care costs would not rise and would actually be cut by $2,500 by his first term in office.
Department of Homeland Security:
A Department of Homeland Security employee was granted permission from the government to post a website advocating the mass murder of "whites."