Must Read- Feb. 18, 2014: Forced Gay Marriage, MO Drug Database, MO Gun Bill
Barrel of Gun Image by MGN Online
Groupon declared Alexander Hamilton as a president during it's President's Day promotion. They say that they did this intentionally to get people talking.
- Groupon discounts US history, declares Alexander Hamilton president. (CNN)
- Groupon confirms "President Hamilton" error was intentional. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
MO Gun Bill:
Senator Nasheed added an amendment to Senate Bill 613 requiring stolen guns to be reported within 72 hours. The NRA was not happy with this addition to the bill.
- Senate GOP bows to NRA pressure, changes gun bill. (News-Leader)
- Missouri Senate backs off reporting of stolen guns provision in gun rights bill. (Kansas City Star)
- Senate Bill 613
- Senator Jamilah Nasheed D- District 5
Prescription Drug Database:
Missouri is the only state that does not track people's prescription drug use so lawmakers are thinking about creating a database for the state. The house voted for it 112-32 and now it moves to the senate.
- Missouri House endorses database to track prescription drug purchases. (Kansas City Star)
- House Bill 1133
- Representative Kevin Engler R- District 116
- Journal of the House Feb 13th- search 1133 for official vote list of all voting members
Ayes- Austin, Haahr, Hough, Messenger, Morris, Norr.
Noes- Anderson, Burlison, Elmer, Moon, Phillips
Forced Gay Marriage:
The state of Washington has decided to dissolve same-sex domestic partnerships. Those still involved in a domestic partnership by June 30th will legally become married.
- State to same-sex domestic partners: you're about to be married. (Seattle Times)
- Washington state to convert same-sex domestic partnerships to marriage. (LGBTQ Nation)
Petition signatures are being collected in Missouri to allow citizens to vote up to 6 weeks before an election.
- Supporters pressing early voting initiative in MO. (KSPR)
- Constitutional amendment to article VIII, relating to early voting- version 6 (MO SOS)
Under a bill passed by the Springfield Council, the Missouri National Guard will be activated to work with the Springfield Police to help combat drug crimes.
What is Posse Comitatus?
- The Posse Comitatus Act. (Navy Department Library)
Freedom of the Press:
The United States has fallen to 46th when it comes to press freedom.
- 2014 world press freedom index. (Reports without borders)
The College text book "Introduction to Social Work & Social Welfare: Critical Thinking Perspectives" has some very interesting things to say about President Reagan and Conservatives.
- College text book paints Reagan as sexist, conservatives as pessimists. (Fox News)
- Textbook: Reagan was a sexist, conservatives think people are evil and lazy. (The Daily Caller)
An LA restaurant is charging customers a 3% surcharge to help cover the additional health care costs of its full-time employees.