Must Read- March 28, 2014: Gay Marriage in MO, Nixa Schools, Senate Seat 26
Gay Pride Flag Image by MGN
Gay Marriage in Missouri:
Rep. Colona has filed legislation to ask voters to add same-sex couples to the definition of marriage on a constitutional amendment in Missouri
- Legislator files proposed amendment to allow same-sex marriage in Missouri. (Missourinet)
- HJR 85
- Representative Mike Colona D-District 80
The Locke & Smith Foundation analyzes constitutionality of Missouri legislation.
Democrats in Missouri will not be running a candidate for a major state office for the first time in 140 years.
- For the first time in 140 years, a major party in Missouri to sit out on statewide race. (PoliticMo)
Allows fire protection district board of directors to meet without public notice in order to disburse funds necessary for the deployment of certain task forces
Missouri Senate Seat 26:
There is a lot of talk about who is going to run for the Republican seat for Senate District 26. Senator Nieves, the current senator, said he is going to run for local office.
Speaker of the House Tim Jones had expressed interest in the seat if Nieves didn't run... but he's decided not to run as well.
- Missouri house speaker Jones will not be running for Senate. (St. Louis Business Journal)
Guarantees the right to conduct and participate in rodeos in this state
Wood Burning Stoves:
Specifies that Missourians have the right to heat their homes and businesses using wood-burning furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and heaters
- House Bill 1302
- Representative Tim Remole R-District 6
- Proposed legislations on wood-burning stoves would affect Missourians. (Ozarks First)
A Springfield man needs help with funding to purchase a new batsuit for his visits to Mercy and St. Jude Childrens research hospital.
City of Nixa Elections:
Nixa Public Schools believes they need to clear up confusion about the bond issue on the April 8th ballot. They say a flyer distributed inside the district by a Missouri political group was misleading.
- Nixa school district responds to St. Louis organization's flyers. (Ozarks First)
- Christian County April 2014 sample ballot
City of Ozark Elections:
Matthew P. Block is running for Ozark Alderman Ward 1 against incumbent Bradley Alen Jackson.
Obama is telling Putin that he needs to move his troops off the Ukraine border.
#CancelColbert has been launched after some believe he posted a racist comment on Twitter.
- Colbert Report tweet stirs up anger. (USA Toeday)
- Feds spend another $20 million on healthcare.gov (The Weekly Standard)